Fitting for my Christmas outfit. I haven’t even put the waistband on! I just love the leg of mutton sleeves on this jacket. the back of the jacket is real patent leather embossed crocodile skin pattern.
My family and I are embarking on a southern pilgrimage in late March. The major destinations being Florence, Alabama to visit The Factory of Alabama Chanin, then to New Orleans, just because, but possibly in time for NOLA Fashion week. Here are my journal entries for the two new outfits to wear there. The first is a navy tube top, black handkerchief hemmed dress with a cap-sleeved or sleeveless leather bolero embellished with silver and gold.
Outfit number two is a maxi length corset dress out of this incredible black and red fabric with black lace fingerless gloves.
Discovered a new jeweler at Common Ground Fair this year. Boyd Johnson of Augusta, Maine. He has an Etsy shop: QuimbySt. His practices and philosophies are really commendable and inspiring. I ordered a pair to wear for Christmas.
Corset gifts and a new slip dress in leather and a poly/rayon blend.
My mother used to tell me you can tell a good artist or a quality piece when the unseen details are as beautiful as the seen details.
Working on samples of an art piece in non traditional materials, and be fully functional. A top knit out of VHS tape, trimmed in dog hair, (donated by my corgi mix and spun into yarn by me). A wrap skirt from inner tube rubber, embellished with staples.
Jolene’s fashion faux pas
These rules only apply to myself!! Use them if you wish or make up your own.
- No pajamas. I despise pajamas, loungewear, and sweatpants. Wear lingerie or nothing to bed. And NEVER in public!
- Proper posture. Back straight, shoulders slightly back, head up. Engage you core, stop making your back do everything. Want to look like you lost 20 pounds and have flatter abs? Posture.
- No smoking or excessive drinking. I’ve given up both entirely. Show the world you are a classy lady.
- All I wear for jewelry are earrings. Metallic only, no stones. I have sensory issues wear I don’t like anything that “circles” any part of my body. I don’t even wear my wedding ring. I agree with the opinion that you shouldn’t wear a necklace with earrings or rings with bracelets and vise versa. Too much in one area. I also won’t wear mascara and lipstick together.
“Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance.” CoCo Chanel
- Wear clothes that flatter your body type. It takes a long time to figure out what works for your unique build. Once you do, go with it! Don’t be influenced by trends that won’t work for you.
“If you don’t feel comfortable in a plunging sweater, skin-tight jeans, and killer heels, go home and change.” Ines de la Fressange
- I don’t like the “cold shoulder” “thing” going on right now.
- I don’t generally like any part of a bra to show. Unless it is a design element for the entire piece.
“Ripped jeans? …… Insanity!” Iris Apfel
- Black and brown CAN be worn together.
- Red and pink CAN be worn together.
- Blue and black CAN be worn together.
Pemaquid beach, Maine
Swimsuit by Aniela Parys
A new dress.
Made of repurposed fabric. The process.
Detail of the various seams. Really neat. The secret? Ironing, ironing and more ironing.
Before and after.
Finished leather “corset”
Here’s a partial line up of this summer’s projects. Complete with knitted camisole, my recycled strip jeans, and custom dyed red skinny jeans.
I also picked up some freebies on the side of the road! I’m thinking of transforming the plaid blazer into a Spencer jacket with leg of mutton sleeves and some gold or copper metallic embellishments.
Imagine this dress as a slip dress worn with the little spencer jacket 🤩
I started working with leather. This corset is being made from leather salvaged from 2 used pair of leather pants. It will have fresh water pearl embellished trim. Not easy, but extremely satisfying. Not sure what method of attachment I will go with: lacing, a zipper, or other, on one side.
More experiments with leather: machine sewn this time and top “stitched” with staples. Kinda cool!
Working on a special event outfit. A high-low hemmed, sequined, princess seamed, navy blue trimmed tank dress. With a matching dove gray leather, cap-sleeved bolero; a navy blue felted boat cap and peacock blue nubuck, cross over, high-heeled clogs.
It is all basted together with my new clothing tag design located inside the “train” back. Visible when I walk (I hope).
Embroidered leather clothing tags. I’m contemplating maybe, just maybe, creating a few pieces to sell 😬😳😨